Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Faith

I think it's time I finally share my birth story of Hewson 😊.

Deciding to have more children was a very emotional process for me. Terrified of what happened and also hope from my first child. One child with a perfect birth and another to terrify any family. I had to rely on faith and take a leap. I was in a really good place emotionally and physically again. I wasn't going to have anymore kids until I reached it.

In August we took the family to Bear Lake, Lava Hot Springs, and then Yellowstone. It was over my Birthday and Lucas's Birthday. I noticed I was a couple days late and thought I would buy a pregnancy test in West Yellowstone. It's funny because you have to ask the cashier for a pregnancy test. They have them locked up in the front. So, I bought the test without telling Lucas I was even late. We picked up a bucket of KFC chicken, it was Lucas's bday so it was his choice of bday meal. We headed into the park and traveled to Mammoth hot springs. Up there I decided to take the test. And surprise! I saw the two lines and knew I was prego. I headed back to the van and put the test on the cooler in the back. I told Lucas to get something for me in the back. He got his surprise birthday present 😊. We were excited and then I got nervous. I took a while in scheduling my Ob appt. I wanted to forget about the past. I didn't want to see anything the reminded me of my nightmare. I love Lucy, but everything I went through was seriously a nightmare. I won't sugar coat it, I went through hell. I didn't want to go through hell again. You see for those of you that haven't experience having a special needs child, count your blessings. It's hard, you mourn your child and what could have been. Do not ever take for granted your healthy children.
Going to the appt my Doctor was scary, but all looked well. Each appt went great and at my 20 weeks appt I was nervous. Please tell me everything is ok, and sure enough everything looked perfect. And the baby was a boy! That was a relief to me. I feel like I would've panicked if I was told it was a girl. PTSD would have swept right in. At my 27 week appt I asked my doctor about a vbac. He was very much against it telling me it's awful and how a c section was so much safer. In the end with all his scare tactics I soon realized it was more because he likes his schedules. That's ok, I understand that. But, for me I needed to have my chance again. I knew it would be better for me and the baby if I had a vaginal birth. And I did a lot of research. And honestly bad things can happen either way. So, I don't understand why a c section was deemed so much safer when it's not.  I have questioned doctors so much and have seen them make mistakes since having Lucy. I question everything now and often rely on myself to make the choice on what's best. So far it has not let me down. You have to take away the fear and have faith. Praying about what is best. Do not hesitate once you find the answer no matter how scary it may seem.
So, I switched doctors. I couldn't believe I did that at first. I was so glad I did in the end, oh how grateful I am. Honestly I was already upset with my doctor at the end of my pregnancy with Lucy. He said a few things that weren't professional and he never checked on Lucy in the NICU. He never checked up on me knowing full well I had a child with problems AND that I was personally struggling. I was upset and knew he was a good doctor. He just doesn't have a lot of patience when he's stressed out. Part of me didn't want to deliver at Davis again anyway. I know where the hidden door is to the NICU. I squirm whenever I have to go to the maternity area for births for family members. I needed to start fresh and somewhere new.
In the end I switched to an amazing doctor who never tried scaring me. And delivers at McKay Dee.

At 34 weeks I had contractions that lasted all night. That night I knew that this little guy was going to show up earlier. I was feeling so tired in the coming weeks. I could just nap all day if I could. I had another night of contractions around 36 weeks. Again lasted all night. I told Lucas don't be surprised if Hewson comes in the next week or two. At my 37 week appt I was checked and dilated at a 2. The next day I was losing my mucus plug all day. And then I started to notice a little trickle. I was wondering if I my water was leaking, it couldn't be could it? I almost went in, but Lucas wasn't home and wasn't going to be till late. I decided to go to sleep and see what the next day brought me. By afternoon the trickle came back. And then I noticed a bigger trickle and then walked up the stairs and had a stream come out. I knew it was my water. Luckily Lucas came home from work earlier that day. By the time my parents came I had stuffed my pants so I wasn't leaking everywhere.
A steady stream just kept coming and sure enough it was my water. And more water just kept showing up. By the time I was hooked up and I wasn't dilating much. It was discovered I had another bag of water leaking. I was told you can have more than one bag of water, weird huh? Sure enough I did and after that broke I went from a 3 to a 7 within an hour. In the next 30 minutes I was ready to push. I pushed 4 times and got him out in 2 minutes. He weighed in at 8lbs 6oz and 20.5 inches long. Exactly the same size as his brother. He just came 9 days earlier than his brother. He was born at 37 weeks 4 days gestation. Had him just before 1 am on April 18th. Everything was great, I was able to do skin to skin immediately. I was never even given that option with my first. So, this was heaven to me.  I had a perfect delivery with him. I only took Motrin at the hospital with him. I didn't need big drugs and I came home feeling great. I trusted myself and took a leap of faith. I was able to have my perfect pregnancy and delivery and I am so grateful for it. My body is not broken. I felt broken after what I went through.. I really did and I needed this.
Sometimes our only option is a c section. And that's ok, I'm grateful I could have one to safely deliver my daughter. Sometimes it's not the only option and you should be given a choice. No matter what happens do your research and pray about it.

I am so thankful for this beautiful boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment